The Italian house of Bvlgari now owned by the French group LVMH since 2011, was originally founded as a high end jeweler in 1884 by a Greek goldsmith named Sotirios Voulgaris. The original Bvlgari store was located in Via Sistini in Rome and was moved to the companies current flagship location in Via dei Condotti just a few years later in 1905. The brand would continue to grow in the early 1900s, but it was the creation of a diamond tiara for the 1930 wedding of Prince Umberto of Italy and Princess Marie José of Belgium that would ultimately bring international attention to the brand and its fine jewels. It was in these early years that Bvlgari would produce its first watches which were mainly highly ornate pieces made of precious metals and stones for women but there were also some wristwatches for men as well. The creation of the first snake shaped Serpenti models with tubogas bracelets in the late 1940s were the first landmark models for the brand and have remained popular through to the present day. The next important date for Bvlgari watch production would come in 1975 when the brand introduced the Roma, which was a gold digital wristwatch that was launched as a limited series of 100 pieces, intended as a Christmas gift for Bulgari’s top clients. The success of that watch would lead the brand to launch, in 1977, its first watch for men produced on a large scale, the BVLGARI BVLGARI and the success of that watch would lead to the creation of a watch business unit, and in 1982 the Bulgari Time S.A. company in Neuchâtel, Switzerland. Bvlgari was now going full steam ahead into watches. Bvlgari furthered their ambitions in the watch world with acquisitions of the luxury brands Daniel Roth and Gérald Genta, Swiss leaders in high-end watchmaking, as well as Manufacture de haute horlogerie SA, the owner of the related manufacturing facilities. These acquisitions gave rise to a new company named Daniel Roth et Gérald Genta Haute Horlogerie S.A. based in in Le Sentier in the Swiss watchmaking region of Vallée de Joux. Eventually, in 2011, Bvlgari was acquired by luxury giant LVMH who would continue their push deeper into the high end watch market with the introduction of models like the Octo Finissimo.
The first Bvlgari Diagono was introduced in 1988 as the definitive sport model within the company’s model range. In fact, the name Diagono is derived from the ancient Greek word for competition which we find quite fitting. Like many other Bvlgari watches, the Diagono has always been defined by its design and materials which include steel, gold, rubber, aluminum, and titanium, many times in a combination of multiple of these. The Scuba variant, seen here, is a further evolution of the Diagono line aimed at being a diving variant of the original which it achieves quite well in our opinion.
This example comes as a complete set with its original box and papers.
The Case and Bracelet
The 38mm stainless steel case is in great condition with only very minor scratches seen due to light wear. The design is a solid mix between classic Diagono cues and dive watch inspiration such as the 60 minute bi-directional rotating bezel. The articulating bracelet is in matching great condition with links that will fit up to a 7 inch wrist.
The Dial and Hands
The black dial and hands are in excellent condition with no flaws to note. The dial features a simple 3 hand layout with numerals at 6 and 12. The hour and minute hands feature two separate designs, one being sword and the other being arrow, which adds to the legibility of the watch. The printing is crisp and shows a respectable water resistance of 200 meters.
This watch features a chronometer certified automatic ETA 2892-A2 movement. The watch is running well at +6 seconds a day according to the seller and the service history is not known.
|Location||New York City|
|Movement||Automatic ETA 2892-A2|
|Case Material||Stainless Steel|
|Band Material||Stainless Steel|